Review: The Crux & Co

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday seasonšŸ˜ƒ The Crux & Co is a very popular  patisserie/cafe in Melbourne, close to Albert Park. They also have a second little patisserie/cafe in the heart of the CBD. They make beautiful eclairs, macarons and cakes that come in a single serve size and big celebration sizes. Although I must say their desserts are amazing, I felt the food was less than average. Customer service was nice and we didn't have to wait for a seat on the weekend.

Chai  Latte - $4.70
I am not sure where they source their chai but I found this chai
to be quite bitter, it also didn't come with any honey or sweetener
although there was sugar on the table. The strainer also didn't catch all
the little spices, leaving the texture quite grainy.

Cappuccino - $4
I really liked this coffee, not too bitter with a nice aroma. However,
as you can see, the foam was super airy and there wasn't a lot of it,
like it had been left to sit for a while and cause big bubbles or it was
over-steamed.

Egg Basket - $21
I unfortunately was not a big fan of this dish. The combination and proportions were way off.
Pros: tasty scotch quail egg, crispy basil leaves, arancini ball was tasty and well cooked,
as was the falafel. Cons: only 1 egg, 1 arancini and 1 falafel (which were hard to tell apart),
too much concentrated, salty sauce and rosti compared to the aforementioned items.
The rosti was also super crunchy which after a few bites started hurting my mouth,
like when you eat too many chips and it starts scratching the insides of your mouth.
Then the salty, acidic sauce just made it sting.

South American Pork Burger - $23.50
The burger was much better than my dish but still not 100% perfect.
Firstly I didn't like the rocket, but I don't blame them for that. The soft
pork belly was so tender and the sauce really complimented it. The
apples added too much sweetness though while the slaw wasn't dressed.
Highlight was definitely those wedges, super crispy and pillowy at
the same time.

Eclairs - Passionfruit, Yoghurt and White Chocolate
I don't remember how much they were but they are a must try!
They are mini sized good for 2 to share but also within reason
to eat all on your own. My favourite had to be passionfruit
as it's on of my favourite fruits and the jelly glaze on top was amazing,
not too sour. However, the yoghurt was also amazing, a very unique
flavour and again had a nice sour little hint to it.


The Crux & Co Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 




Comments

Popular Posts