Review: The Fine Food Store

Today was the first time I've ever eaten out on my own. Yes, it actually is a really big achievement for me because I feel awkward doing things alone in social/public situations e.g. eating out, watching movies etc. because those things always seem to have a "social" stigma attached to them. That is why this post is a big deal to me and so in "celebration" of my first time eating out alone I am actually uploading this post on the same day I ate. Another achievement WOOH!!! Lol, yea I'm the only one getting excited over this, but here's to many more not-awkward-lone-eating-adventures :)

Now on to the actual food, I had breakfast at the lovely "The Fine Food Store", in one of my favourite parts of Sydney, The Rocks. The menu options are cheap and sound appetising. The cafe itself is very hipster and spacious with seating arrangements to cater for singles (like me) and larger groups. The tables are not waited, you can take a seat and look at the menu, but must go up to the front counter to put in your order, which can be annoying because you either bring your bags with you and risk losing the table or leave them unattended and risk losing your things. However, if you go with other people, a person can mind the bags, and if you go with boys, then bags are even less of a problem! Another option is just taking a look at the menu at the counter and then ordering before taking your seat, but if it is busy and you are as indecisive as me, it can be daunting lol. Either way, I just like the feeling of being waited upon, and that reminds me to also mention the service isn't exceptional, the staff didn't put in any extra effort to be friendly or conversational, quite blunt really, not even an "enjoy your meal", but maybe I just went on a bad day.
p.s. if you like/love this place be sure to also check out their sister shop "The Fine Food Store Coffee Bar" along Oxford St, Darlinghurst.

Regular Mocha - $4
Using beans from ST ALi's sensory lab roast, this mocha was lovely.
A bit stronger than what I usually have, but somehow, the more I drank,
the smoother it went down and I actually really liked the flavour,
not too sweet but also not too bitter. Surprisingly liked it!
Only fault: they forgot my order.
Belgian Style Waffles - $13.50
With poached berries, panna cotta icecream and vanilla syrup.
I really loved this dish. The highlight was definitely the panna cotta gelato,
light and creamy and excellent flavour. Couldn't handle a lot of it though as it was quite sweet.
I loved the better than plain vanilla flavour though, added another depth to the dish.
The vanilla syrup was also nice, and not something I see often in restaurants.
Alone it was quite bitter like too much essence, but combined with the other elements on the plate
it added a subtle sweetness and vanilla flavour.
Berries are always lovely but I do prefer a compote as it comes with a richer sauce.
And the main attraction, the waffles, cooked lovely, crsipy on the outside, soft in the centre and
just the right sweetness. A simple, classic dish for anyone seeking a sugar hit.

The Fine Food Store on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts