Recipe: Thai Green Curry

For someone who loves to cook and frequently has to cook (because I live independently), I should really be posting up more recipes, but for some reason I never do. Maybe it's the fact that my dishes aren't particularly exciting or high quality, nor do I follow any specific recipes or measurements so it's hard to quantify them for you. Also, I never remember to take photos of my cooking because let's just say I do really care about how I present my food to my stomach. However, I think I should improve my own culinary skills as anybody can eat out but not everybody can cook, and cooking is a useful skill. I will be using you readers as my motivation, because when I make a commitment to someone I like to keep it, so if I tell you guys I will be posting more recipes, it forces me to at least try. Anyway, enough of me blabbing on, I hope you enjoy!


Paste: makes 8-12 servings

Ingredients:

This paste is not smooth like the pre-made ones you buy in the store as the cream and liquid has not been added and it is very concentrated.
  • 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp shrimp paste
  • 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
  • 2 lemongrass stems (pale part only), roughly chopped
  • 1 tbsp freshly grated galangal
  • 4 kaffir lime leaves (fresh preferable)
  • 4 small green chillies
  • Some freshly cracked pepper (I put about 6 twists)
  • 2 small onions or eshalots, diced
  • 4 garlics, roughly chopped

Method:

  1. Dry toast the coriander and cumin seeds in a pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, then grind with a mortar and pestle. Substituting with the powder form can do, and does not need to be toasted, but flavours will be less pungent.
  2. Place the shrimp paste in a square of foil and wrap it up. Place on the same pan for 1 minute.
  3. Now transfer all ingredients and 1 tbsp of water into a food processor or use a stick blender to blend into a paste. NB: if the roughly chopped items seem too large, either chop them more finely or grind down with the mortar and pestle before blending to make sure everything comes out more consistent in size and no large lumps are found.

Curry: serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 500g skinless thigh or breast fillet sliced into 3cm long pieces (substitute tofu for vegetarian option)
  • 500ml coconut cream
  • 500ml chicken stock (substitute vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
  • 150g baby corns cut in half (about 10-15 full pieces)
  • 3 medium carrots cut lengthwise into rectangles (or as you please)
  • 150g green beans
  • 2-3 tsp curry paste (made above)
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp lime juice (or to taste)
  • 2 tbsp grated palm sugar
  • 2 red chillies
  • 4 kaffir lime leaves
  • 8 bundles of thin egg noodles

Method:

  1. Heat about 1/2 tbsp of oil in the pan. Add the curry paste and stir briefly.
  2. Add the chicken and vegetables, stirring until chicken is seared (outside white but not fully cooked)
  3. Add coconut cream, stock and lime leaves. Bring to boil
  4. Allow to simmer for 5 - 10 minutes until vegetables and chicken fully cooked.
  5. Add fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and chillies. Stir for another minute.
  6. Taste and add extra flavours accordingly. I personally prefer more sour in mine.
  7. In another pot, bring to boil 3 cups of water and add the egg noodles for 2-3 minutes or until al dente.

Comments

Popular Posts