Review: Brewtown Newtown

Trekked it to Newtown again just to try cronuts from Brewtown Newtown for the second time ever. I must say I was pleased by both the food/cronuts and company. A good sign of any restaurant is the waiting line, and we had to wait 10 minutes for a table, which I am not a fan of, because when I'm hungry, I want to eat! But, it was worth it. 

Just needed to say I LOVE HER DRESS! (and hair!)
Ice Coffee - $3.50
One of the best ice coffees I've ever had. The strength
was, to my weakling taste buds, manageable. Too many
time I have ordered ice coffees that are just too strong and bitter for me.
Chair tea - $4.50
I must say the presentation was adorable. Reminds me of chinese
tea drinking ceremonies with the clay teapots and cups.
In the little dish there is a spoon of honey, which I didn't use because I
have a very strong dislike for honey or any type of syrup.
However for those wanting their chai tea sweet, use it, or some sugar.
I prefer chai lattes cos I like the froth and milkiness, but this is much lighter
on the stomach, I do get bloated from too much dairy, so I liked this,
and I also liked the fact that it wasn't a sweet tea, because I usually
drink my milk tea plain.
Crispy fried blue eye cod - $17
With spinach, chorizo and house cut chunky chips.
As you can tell the serving size is quite small, could have at least been more generous with the chips.
That being said the flavours were delicious.Fish was soft and pillowy with a crunchy but not-too-oily batter.
Spinach dressing went well as a dip/sauce. Chips, yummy as always.
I will never say no to chorizo but it wasn't a needed element on the plate,
and did not really compliment anything on the plate.
Poached chicken quinoa salad - $14
With roasted cauliflower, pistachio and zucchini ribbon.
There was also a balsamic vinegar dressing but only over the centre of the salad,
would of liked a bit more of it to add flavour to the bland quinoa.
This serving as you can see was a lot more generous, but maybe that's because it's a salad.
The chicken did not taste poached, was not moist or smooth.
Tasted either fried of baked, and was slightly on the dry side.
The roasted cauliflower and a nice charcoal flavour and the pistachios added crunch to the dish.
I loved the dried cranberries as they added much needed flavour to the dish and
complimented the sweet & sour balsamic dressing.
I love feta, however this feta wasn't a strong one, more like Danish rather than Greek,
which may suit some taste buds but as you can tell, I wanted more flavour and I like my cheese strong.
All in all I did enjoy the dish and I will try to replicate at home.
Elvis Burger - $16.50
Ground beef, savoury cronut, canadian bacon, gruyere and mayo served with chips and relish.
I tried a bit of the burger and it was tasty. I wasn't sure how well a savoury cronut would work,
but it wasn't soggy or too oily. Reminded of savoury croissants.
The beef was really moist and tender, and who doesn't like bacon?
And I loved the melted gruyere, added some creaminess to the dish
Cronuts - $4.50/$5 each
For some reason cronuts remind me of krispy kreme.
I think its partly the texture and the sugar.
I do like cronuts, but after waiting to try these babies for over a year,
my satisfaction wasn't complete. I liked the glazed one the most,
and I think that's just because it's the most similar flavour to krispy kreme.
I really really wanted to love them, but I just don't.
I do enjoy eating them, but I don't crave them anymore.
The chocolate topping was nice, not too sweet and crumbly, however,
I found the pastry to be more oily and less fluffy and flaky than the others.
The jam filled one, was just a cronut with strawberry jam, nothing special but still nice.
The cinnamon was my second favourite, dusted all around with cinnamon sugar, and was light and fluffy.
NB: they are super oily, and maybe that's a deterrent for me, so do eat them in moderation.

Brewtown Newtown on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. Yum, still yet to come here for the lunch menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I haven't tried the breakfast menu yet, but it looks good! I recommend trying the Elvis Burger, the savoury cronut will surprise you :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts