Review: Berth

A somewhat awkward review because this was actually a restaurant I went to on a date, and my friends were like "are you going to write a review about your date?" and I said "yes, I'll just write about the food, not the date". So, here it is, a few weeks late as usual.

We dined at Berth at Docklands, right over the water, literally, we were right next to the water and I'm sure it was passing under us too. It's an architecturally beautiful building, full glass walls, oval shaped design and beautiful interior. The wait-staff were polite and patient, offering recommendations and checking that everything was to our liking.  


Ignore my reflection and admire the city skyline

Apple Martini - $15
Belvedere citrus vodka, apple juice& apple sour liqueur.
Apple sours is a favourite liqueur of mine that I can and do
drink straight, it just tastes like a mega warhead!
I can never have anything bad to say about a cocktail I like.
It's either good or it isn't and this was good.
Garlic Bread - $5
4 garlic pizza bread slices. Lovely bread but could've done with
more garlic spread evenly throughout.
Chicken risotto - $20
With roasted pumpkin, pine nuts, sage & baby spinach.
I love risotto, one of my favourite foods and this was no exception.
Soft, creamy, well seasoned. The chicken was cooked well,
loved all the ingredients, and that sauce was amazing. Could've
done with roasted pine nuts to bring out the flavour, and more of them.
BBQ kangaroo fillet - $26
marinated in apple cider, served on baby potatoes & topped with a rich jus.
I loved the balsamic jus, the best ingredient on the plate in my opinion.
The kangaroo was cooked to a nice medium, the way I like and you could
taste the slight apple cider acidity. The baby potatoes were somewhat
mashed but there were harder chucks in there, which made it harder to eat.
Hot chocolate cake - $10
With belgium chocolate sauce & topped with vanilla bean ice cream.
Very dense and moist, something I couldn't finish myself. The vanilla
ice-cream was lovely, but when isn't it good? The sauce was rich and dark
which balanced all the sweetness
White chocolate brulee - $12
Served with a mixed berry compote
I'm usually not a fan of crème brulee due to the butterscotch/caramel
flavour, but this one was more subtle and the white chocolate flavour shone through.
Was slightly eggy and not as light as a would've liked.
The berry compote was definitely the highlight, slightly sour which
combated the sweet brulee. It reminded me of home, and I believe any restaurant dish
that tastes as organic and authentic as home-made is a winner.

Berth Restaurant & Events on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts