Review: Prospect Espresso

I went on a field day to Camberwell Sunday Market with my friends Gowri and "she-who-must-not-be-named", and this is where we stopped for lunch/brunch. We were starving at this point because we hadn't had breakfast, luckily Gowri wasn't too indecisive :P and I must commend her on her improving urbanspooning skills! (I know you will read this)
If you follow the rule that a good restaurant always has a queue out the door, then this place is definitely up there. Lucky we came in before 12 otherwise we would've been those people that had to put their names down and wait. We didn't even get our own table and had to sit in the worst place on the communal table, but I ain't complaining because we got food. The queue did finally start to die down around the time we left, which was about an hour later.
p.s. if you love this place, be sure to check out their sister cafe Townhouse in Toorak! They have some similar menu items, and other unique dishes! Prices differ slightly too.

Artsy fartsy wannabe photographer
Mocha - $4
Quite bitter to me, although Gowri drank her's straight.
I had to add sugar to me, which I know makes me a weakling
but also proves it wasn't the greatest mocha, not enough chocolate!
Soy Chai Latte - $4.50
I didn't drink this but just thought the coffee art was pretty cool,
I know all they did was probably use a stencil, but still, never seen it before.
Slow Cooked Lamb Sandwich - $16.50
Confit lamb with goats cheese, spinach and caramelised onion mayonnaise.
I have to start off by saying I just love lamb.
It honestly is the tastiest meat around, and although
I am not the biggest fan of meat, I could live on lamb for the rest of my life.
Jokes! I would die lol, but honestly this lamb was moist, soft and so darn tasty.
Also that saucy mayonnaise added lovely flavour and creaminess.
Rocket, Herb & Goats Cheese Omelette - $15.50
Served with sourdough toast and an extra side of smoked salmon ($5)
My friend said this tasted quite bland, no rocket, no seasoning,
and after I tried some I had to agree. All it tasted like was egg.
There was no herb aroma and I didn't get any rocket or goats cheese.
Either they didn't put any in, or were stingy with the fillings.
Either way we weren't impressed, quote "lucky I got the salmon", amen to that!
Panko Crumbed Eggs - $17.50
With spiced beans, goat's cheese and chorizo.
Lucky last is my dish, isn't it just aesthetically pleasing? I love food that really feed all the senses.
I was very proud of my choice here. Also, I just have to point out
this cafe seriously has a fetish with goat's cheese, not that I'm complaining,
because I love it to, but just be aware many of their dishes contain it.
Moving on to the spiced beans, man did they pack a punch. I wasn't
expecting such a strong flavour hit. Best of all, it tasted truly home-made.
They beans weren't soft and mushy like the canned stuff,
and the tomato sauce was strong on flavour and acidity, poor like pasta sauce.
Again I loved the goat's cheese, the chorizo was a bit overdone though,
I loved the eggs too! Although the crumb wasn't very crunchy, just crumbly.
However, the inside was cooked superbly, the whites were fully cooked,
yet the yolk completely runny, yet not raw. I really need to expand me ways of cooking egg!
Negative: I have a hate-hate relationship with rocket, not that it's their fault, I just picked them off.

Prospect Espresso on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts