Review: White Taro

When I came back to Sydney, this new cafe in Surry Hills was right on my radar. Once my friend told me she had visited and really enjoyed it, we decided to all go some time and boy was it worth the trip. We sat outdoors in the back courtyard, on a warm, sunny Sydney day, however, it didn't get too hot. The staff were all very friendly and patient, as we couldn't decide what to get! The menu looked so amazing, I wanted to eat it all! If you enjoy Asian inspired breakfast, definitely go for some of their more Vietnamese oriented dishes, otherwise they still serve up the classics, like a mean eggs benedict.

Wild Mushrooms - $16
I don't get why this is a separate item on the menu, it is almost identical to their
eggs benedict, apart from the vegetables they use. However, if it were up to me,
I'd pick this version too as asparagus is way better than kale. The hollandaise had
the right amount of  lemon for me. However, it didn't seem to have any mustard flavour,
which I enjoy. The variety of mushrooms were pleasing and they were all cooked well,
as was the asparagus. Great vegetarian option!
Lamb Backstrap Wrap - $12
Might not be as visually pleasing as their other dishes, but don't be
disheartened, what it lacks in looks, it makes up for in flavour.
Filled with tonnes of yummy goodness such as pumpkin, lamb, salad,
tzatziki and harissa, it is a a flavourful combination. The pumpkin
adds this creaminess to the dish, the lamb was cooked perfectly and
seasoned fabulously. The harissa adds a bit of a spice kick, and the sauces really
and moisture to the dish. Plus it's wrapped in a spinach bread!
Crepes - $14
One of the most beautifully presented dishes I've ever seen. These crepes
were thin and light, accompanied by a well cooked creme brulee and heaps of
fruits and syrup. I loved the orange flavours that accented the dish. I hate most sugar based syrups,
so the burnt orange syrup really pleased my taste buds, although the orange flavour wasn't very strong.
The lemon curd was fabulous though, added moisture and sweetness to the crepes.
Taro's Deconstructed Banh Mi - $19
I normally don't pay to make my own food, but this dish just looked
so enticing on their website. Although it was quite messy to make and
took a long time to construct, it was really filling and really fun!
I loved all the separate little ingredients and condiments in jars.
That liver pate was perfectly balanced and smooth. The homemade batter had
a citrus twist to it. The pickles and vegetables showed great culinary skill.
That pork belly skin was so tender, while that meat was so tender, and there wasn't
too much fat on that cut. I wasn't a big fan of the fruit chutney as it was too sweet,
and to me didn't compliment the dish. It was also strange having kim chi in a banh mi,
but they did pickle it fabulously. If you like to work hard for your food, I definitely recommend this.
NB: The dish is a bit dry and the baguette quite though, so lather it up with the condiments.
Ice Mocha - $6
I hate it when cafes serve their much more expensive ice coffees in the same
glass as they would a latte, it just doesn't make any sense for me to be charged more
for ice. However, their coffee blend was really smooth, but a bit weak.
Make your own juice - $6.50
If you love freshly squeezed juice, they offer a variety of fruits
to mix and match from at a pretty standard price.

 White Taro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

Comments

Popular Posts