Review: Kinfolk Cafe

When I first found out about this charity cafe, I was so keen to try it out, and when I finally did I was thoroughly pleased. It's just so uplifting to see humans doing good work, and knowing that all the staff are selflessly giving up their time to help raise money for those in more need than us, really put's life into perspective for me, and definitely makes me feel better about spending money, because I know it is going towards a good cause rather than just promoting more consumerism. To learn more about the amazing work Kinfolk does, be sure to check out there website.

Croque Madame Toastie - $12
Leg ham, apricot mustard, fried egg, gruyere cheese and bechamel sauce.
An upgrade from the basic cheese and bacon toastie. The apricot
mustard was subtle, but still  nice. I love gruyere cheese so
all that oily, melted goodness on top was heaven. The egg
was a bit too raw again for my liking, would've liked a bit more brown fried bits.
All in all, a very tasty dish
Daily Egg Special - $14
63 degree egg on sourdough with kale, cheese and seasonal vegetable.
I loved this dish, although the serving is somewhat small with only one egg
and few vegetables spread around, it was really tasty.
The white sauce tasted like bechamel, but with a sweeter and thicker consistency,
so I wasn't quite sure what it was but loved it.
I assume the crumble was the "cheese", had a nice sweetness to it again,
and again not sure what it was but I definitely wanted more of it.
The other aspects of the dish were quite bland as it they didn't have any seasoning
so I really wished there were more of the above components.
That being said I liked the veg, there were slightly blanched and fried,
giving them a nice crispiness and were seasoned with salt.
The egg yolk was a nice runny consistency and the toast had a nice buttery sheen.

 A bit of Melbourne street art along Hosier Ln.

Menus to help decide before you go:


Kinfolk on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts