Review: Cuckoo Callay

Brunch again with Melbourne friend. Wanted to try this place last time I was back. I hadn't realised just how popular this place had become. Every other time I've been in Newtown this place seems moderately full, but last Sunday it was buzzing, weekend crowd I suppose. Either way this place has to be the most conveniently located cafe, right outside a train station. They have a outside takeaway counter for quick orders and plenty of tables inside and out for dining.

Strawberry White Chocolate Muffin - $4
One of the hugest muffins I have ever seen.
Really great texture and flavour. I would've preferred
more fresh strawberries on top and within. There
also wasn't much white chocolate within, just some
drizzle on top, but still tasted great.
Latte - $3.50
The blend was smooth, but more bitter than some.
Ya Bacon Me Crazy (Special) - $20
Buttermilk waffles e/ bacon, caramel & cinnamon ice cream, maple syrup
and chocolate coated bourbon bacon.
This dish was a star! I actually really like waffles with savoury food
e.g. chicken & waffles, and this one was amazing. The chocolate covered
bacon added a nice sweetness to the bacon, but wasn't overpowering in flavour.
I actually really liked the ice cream as the caramel wasn't overpowering
and cinnamon is always good. Although the waffle was covered in maple syrup,
which I again don't like, it wasn't too strong either and I managed to drip the excess off.
I would've liked the waffle to be a bit more toasted, but otherwise tasted good and
wasn't too sweet. All bacon was cooked nice and crisp.
Vote For Pedro - $19
Chorizo chilli, black beans, toasted coconut, creme freche, 63 degree egg w/ sourdough
Firstly, not quite sure if there was any coconut in the dish, it would've added an
extra level of flavour to the dish. But I still loved this dish, one of the best chilli's I've had.
Nice heat, but doesn't burn your mouth, overall really flavoursome and saucy.
I really would've liked a larger serving for the price though. The creme cleaned
your palate and dampened the spice, adding a nice coolness to the dish.
The egg was also cooked really well with a slightly runny yolk. 


Click to add a blog post for Cuckoo Callay on Zomato 

Comments

Popular Posts