Review: Tim Ho Wan

First dinner out with the family in a long time. We decided to see if Tim Ho Wan really is worth that Michelin star and sadly we were heavily disappointed. They're food was overpriced, small portioned and not that tasty. I personally would recommend any other yum cha over this.

p.s. sadly they don't use the typical yum cha chilli sauce, which would've made some of the dishes taste so much better!
Left: Longan (Logan) Tea - $3
A subtle longan taste, nice too,
but not worth the price.
Right: Barley Tea - $3
This tea is sweet and slightly thick.
I found it a bit too sweet, but otherwise tasted good.
Chicken Feet - $6.80
I didn't like the taste. I also prefer the traditional
red chicken feet from yum cha. 
Rice with chicken, sausage and mushroom - $8.50
The broth used to cook the rice tasted so good.
However, the serving size was so small and there
was minimal meat and mushroom in the dish.
If it was worth the price I would definitely order it again.
Pork Dumplings with Pork - $7.80
Tasted good, but nothing special. Sizes were again quite small.
Beef Ball with Beancurd Skin - $6
The beef balls tasted nice but they definitely needed to be cooked
or steamed in a stronger broth. The beancurd tasted normal,
no added flavour.
Pork Rib with Black Bean Sauce - $6.80
Again the serving size was so small, they should just use smaller plates.
The sauce also had a weird spice flavour, I couldn't pick the spice,
but I didn't like it. And the meat was sadly more fat than meat.
Baked BBQ Pork Buns - $7.80
The best dish of the night! Also some of the best
pork buns I have ever had. It wasn't the pork itself that made it
special it was the baked bread shell. Don't get me wrong,
the pork tasted great, as BBQ pork always does, and the
filling was of decent amount, but the pastry was just so
crunchy, light and slightly sweet. It probably contained a lot
of butter, but I really don't care. We even ordered a second set to go.
Beancurd Skin Rolls with Pork and Shrimp - $6.80
This didn't taste great. The beancurd wasn't crispy enough,
the sauce was dilute and the filling was minimal, you can see
in the photo how flat they are.
Prawn Dumplings - $8.50
I always love har gow and this was no exception.
The prawn and skin were both cooked well.
That being said, still not worth the price tag, and
wasn't anything special, especially for a place
renowned for their dumplings.
Crystal Shrimp Roll with Century Egg - $8.50
Again this dish was nothing special. The century egg
didn't have that pungent taste or smell it is famous for
and the rest of the fillings were bland as well. However,
the stock did taste nice so I just saturated the rolls in that.
Left: Yam Sago (Hot) - $6
I really enjoyed this. It did have a strange sweet flavour
and my mum said it was full of artificial preservative flavour,
but to me it tasted ok, just different. That being said I
didn't grow up in a place or era without artificial preservatives
so I wouldn't be able to pick it out.
Right: Mango Pomelo Sago (cold) - $6
This is a great dish for a hot summers day. The sago was cooked well.
The dish had a strong, natural mango flavour. However, I didn't taste any
pomelo and I'm not sure if there were pomelo pieces in there.
Still a good dish, I recommend this for dessert.

Menu:



Click to add a blog post for Tim Ho Wan on Zomato 

Comments

Popular Posts