Review: The Kettle Black

One of Melbourne's most talked about cafes, brought to you by the team behind Top Paddock Two Birds and One Stone, The Kettle Black definitely is the cool kid on the block, bringing together popular dishes from both cafes, while introduces some shiny new dishes to the menu. I am not the biggest fan of Top Paddock, but The Kettle Black was definitely a step up in my opinion.

Ice Mocha - $6
Couldn't really taste the chocolate, the coffee was really strong
and full bodied. The ice-cream helped cut through the bitterness and
overall still a good drink
Chai Tea - $4.50
Served without milk, but does come with honey.
I really enjoyed this tea, it was more mellow and not too sweet.
Definitely one for those who don't like or can't have dairy.
Chilli Scramble - $18
w/ air-dried wallaby, feta and leaves.
Small serving, and came out quite cold, but a really interesting
and unique dish. I would've liked my wallaby more cooked as I
found it a bit raw and tough, probably from the drying. My eggs also
weren't spicy at all, could've done with more chilli throughout, rather
than just some specks of flakes here and there. I do love my feta though
and I think that really shone though on the plate with it's strong flavour.
Seasonal Local Mushrooms - $17 (+$3 w/ egg)
Again another unique dish, but also quite simple and small.
Good variety of mushrooms which each added their unique flavour
to the dish. Again the goat cheese was the powerhouse of the dish
in terms of flavour. The whole dish really could've done with some jus or
sauce to make it less dry. I think the vegetarians out there will really enjoy
this one.
Mixed Beans - $15 (+4 w/ chorizo)
w/ basil pesto, red peppers, tomato sauce and toast.
Probably my favourite dish of the day, I was really tempted to order this,
but I eat way too much tomato. Great hearty soup for a cold Winter's day.
Really good flavour in the sauce, the beans and peppers were cooked till soft.
The chorizo was charred well and basil added a fresh hit.
All in all a really filling and warming dish.


The Kettle Black Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

Comments

Popular Posts