Queen Victoria Market Field Day

My first time ever going to QVM! I have waited so long for this day, sadly last year I only had Wednesday's off, which happened to be the only day QVM is closed :( But now I have checked off another item on my to do list! First things first, the place is massive! They have the undercover shed section that houses temporary stalls and then the produce building that houses fresh fruit & veg, deli cheeses and cured meats as well as a fresh meat and fish market accompanied with yelling salesmen in tow. Felt like a true market, minus the stinky waste bins. I didn't manage to cover the whole area, but did see my fair share of souvenir and clothing stalls. In the end, let's face it, I was obviously there for the food! Especially the deli section, I could live there for life, cheese is my OTP.
 
American Jam Doughnuts - $5.50 for 5
A friend recommended we try these jam-filled babies,
and for such a bargain, who can refuse?
I must say I did love them, they were a perfect snack size,
and held it's shape nicely, making it a lot easier to eat while
walking around without having to worry about jam drooping out.
They were really light and luckily not too sweet, but I don't think
I could eat 5 on my own.

American Doughnut Kitchen on Urbanspoon

Ahhh the ultimate competition for Krispy Kremes. I have been eying these babies ever since I started following their instagram, tell me they don't look orgasmic, I dare you. Doughboys Doughnuts has their temporary stall set up in The Mercat Hotel right next to QVM, convenient right? They also do daily drop offs to more and more Melbourne cafes such as The Kettle Black (on my to eat list) and Top Paddock. Hopefully one day they will have a permanent store of their own and introduce a doughnut oriented menu, would love to try a savoury doughnut burger!
Charlie Brown - $5.80
I didn't try this, but my friend did, but I definitely want to go back for it.
Interesting combination of chocolate and pretzels.
From left to right:
Overall their doughnuts are just like Krispy Kreme except made fresh to order,
and with a greater variety of unusual flavours that change regularly.
Does come at a higher price tag though.
Passion Fruit - $4.80
The dark chocolate complimented the sweet glaze, however, I would've
liked a stronger passion fruit punch. When you first bite in, it's definitely there
but once you start chewing it just tastes like a sweet doughnut
Pink Snow - $5.80
White chocolate glaze if I remember correctly, with raspberry powder.
The flavour of the raspberries was so powerful for such delicate powder.
It tasted really natural, lovely sour and sweet balance that complimented the glaze,
my favourite of the trio.
PBJ - $5.80
As the name suggests, peanut butter & jam topped with crushed peanuts.
At first I didn't really like this flavour, the peanut butter too savoury
and the jam too sweet, just seemed like opposites that did not attract.
However, I must say with every bite it did grow on me, I still would've
preferred unsalted peanut butter, but otherwise I did enjoy it

Doughboys Doughnuts on Urbanspoon

I just love the design of the place, the glass ceiling, colourful lights
leafy plants and wooden furniture, truly brings the outdoor in, to create
a relaxing, natural setting to sit back and have a few drinks with mates.
Fancy Sanga Classic Sandwich - $10
Beef brisket, cheese, pickles and sauce.
Classic, wholesome American street food.
The beef wasn't as soft and easy to pull apart as I was hoping for.
But apart from that the flavours were great and I do love my pickles

Mercat Cross Hotel on Urbanspoon

Fancy Hank's on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts