Review: The Grumpy Barista

This place has been on my to go list since semester break, and I have been regretting not going there since! But alas I promised myself that I would visit The Grumpy Barista next time I was back in Sydney, which happened to be last week. I must say I was highly satisfied, the staff were amazingly lovely, very friendly, patient and helpful. Although the cafe is small and most dishes are vegetarian/raw due to their small kitchen area, I would recommend them for their quick salads & sandwiches, and of course the cronuts!

Iced Mocha with Ice-cream - $6
Yes I am still very much into mason jars, and doesn't that ripple
just look so tempting? This mocha was lovely, at first a bit
bitter, but as the chocolate sauce diffused it, and the sweet
vanilla ice-cream melted, it was a good balance of sweet and bitter
for my taste buds. A comment on the ice-cream though, it was quite
icy and hard, as if it was stored too cold or melted and was frozen again.
(the ice-cream is optional though)
Grille herbed chicken sandwich - $8
With smashed avocado, roasted pumpkin, baby spinach and aioli.
This sandwich was amazing and the price is so affordable. The chicken
was well seasoned and so soft and moist. The avocado was generous
and spinach fresh, loved the creaminess of the aioli and all on rye bread (my fav!).
Only down point, would of loved more of the sweet pumpkin and some egg
wouldn't hurt too :) 
Cronuts - $6
Saving the best to the very end. From left to right:
Macadamia - loved the cream filling, was light and subtly sweet.
The macadamias added a lovely crunch, and who doesn't love nuts
(no pun intended :P). This was my favourite of the three.
Honey & Pistachio -  I wasn't keen on this flavour as much.
The cronut just tasted plain, I didn't taste any honey, and trust me
I would know when there is honey because I am not a fan of it.
 The filling although same as the macadamia one,  tasted bland.
There also wasn't a lot of pistachio.
Nutella & Oreo crumble - Yes, as a med kid I do love scientific,
experimental food decorating e.g. beakers, flasks and of course
syringes. This has to be one of their more popular flavours
and for good reasons. The Nutella was so light and smooth,
less dense than what you buy in store, I don't know how they did it.
Also it wasn't too sickly sweet with all the chocolate and
the Oreo crumbs added nice texture.

The Grumpy Barista on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts