Review: Melbourne Night Noodle Markets

In true Natasha fashion, I will start off 2015 late as always, with this very delayed post :P Good Food Month's Night Noodle Markets was on again this year. This time on the other side of the banks, with more vendors and more rain; at least that meant for less crowds! Although this year's event is well and truly over, if you've never been before, be sure to check out next years event, for snippets of the best food Melbourne has to offer =D

p.s. thank you to my lovely friend (she knows who she is) who tackled the rain with me!

Chinese lanterns so pretty
Everyone huddling undercover from the rain
Lol starting with dessert first, but of course we actually had
this last and really should've gotten one, because we couldn't finish
them, even though they were so damn nice. Also, this was my first time
trying gelato messina in Melbourne, although I eat it all the time back here in Sydney.
Left - Happy Taste Bud Time ($9 each)
This flavour was definitely my favourite.
It reminded me of the vanilla, mango icecream from Home Icecream mmm...
Seriously the mango puree tasted so natural and fresh. The rambutan and coconut gelato
were also so light and refreshing. Although I loved the coconut macaron, the more you
eat, the sweeter it gets. All in all, a really good end to a meal, really cleansing and
makes you feel a little bit healthier :P
Right - Phuc Khing Tasty
Haha the name is just the best, my friend dibs not to order this one which left me
feeling red in the face >< But none the less it worth it.
As I dug deeper I hit something hard, and not easy to break, then I realised it was the cinnamon
scroll and boy was it yummy, unfortunately I have t say I liked it better than the gelato.
The coffee was nice, but grainy as always. I know they go for that texture but it does get
rough on the tongue and also don't hate me for saying this, but plain coffee can get boring.
All in all, this "pot luck pie" was too sweet for me, there was nothing light
or savoury, but each component on its on was nice (some better than others).
Spiced pork belly bun w/ pickled cucumber (from Kong BBQ) - $6
My friend got a piece of crackling in hers and I didn't :(
So I did feel a bit cheated by the inconsistency.
Apart from that, it tasted great, pork could've have
been more tender, but the flavours were spot on.
Takoyaki (from Shimbashi) - $9ish
Maybe it was $7 but really I can't remember.
What I do remember is these being cooked fresh, and us almost
burning our mouths because we were just too keen.
I am a massive fan of Japanese food because well, I love seafood,
and I love how they do it. This was no exception. Amazing!
Chargrilled Squid (from Kin Vietnamese) - $10
Not even sure if this is the right dish, from the right place, because well
as you can see they are octopus tentacles and I swear on the menu it said octopus.
This stall was located on the first level, near an Indian stall.
We chose the satay flavour, they had others like chilli etc.
The flavour was really nice, never had seafood satay but I enjoyed it
with the lemon. The octopus itself was quite tough though, which
happens when you grill them, but was still chewable, just hard to bite off.

Gelato Messina Fitzroy on Urbanspoon
Shimbashi Soba & Sake Bar on Urbanspoon

 

Comments

Popular Posts