Lifestyle: Friday Night Food Fest

My friends wanted to experience Russian cuisine, so I took them out to this humble, little restaurant in Elsternwick. As always there menu was more steep than your average restaurant, but there is only a small market of Russian/Eastern European restaurants around so they can afford to charge higher. All in all, the food was great, really simply but tasty.

Seliodka - $8
Marinated herrings and warm potatoes
This is a classic dish that I only started appreciating a few months ago
because I've never been a fan of raw fish, but now I just love it.
I remember last Summer my mum made a herring and potato
salad which this reminded me of. For $8 the serving is decent,
flavours great,  the fish cured really well, soft textured and not chewy at all
Golubsti - $25
Minced beed & rice wrapped in cabbage leaf and baked in
a tomato and sour cream soup.
Not the best golubsti I've had, there was this family friend who
made amazing ones, which I sadly haven't had in years.
I prefer if it's all meat, but the rice does make it softer.
The sauce I wanted to be stronger in flavours, more acidic,
chunky and rich. The cabbage wasn't that sour either.
Still a lovely dish though.
Piroshky s Maysom - $5
So piroshky is a traditional baked or fried bread/pastry with
a filling centre. This one was beef mince, and it totally
reminded me of the ones my mum makes, even though she uses lamb.
The flavour was just so nostalgic and amazing, not your typical beef flavour.
I bet they use some secret herbs and spices recipe.
Piroshky s Kapustoy - $5
So this version has cabbage and egg instead. It usually does have
a sour taste because the cabbage is pickled but this one wasn't
too strong and there wasn't too much dill either which I was grateful for.

Nevsky Russian Restaurant on Urbanspoon

After dinner dessert = T by Luxbite
Left: Passionfruit - $9
Banana tarte tatin, pandan, sesame, coconut, peanut and vanilla tart.
Don't ask me about the name, I have no idea how they came up with that,
but regardless, I loved this tart. Base was a bit tough to break,
but the flavours were amazing, really well complimented,
wasn't too sweet at all, and had a nice freshness from the fruit.
Right: Kuma - $9
Cookie, Mork chocolate, strawberry, banana, white chocolate,
milkshake mousse, caramel and chocolate tart.
I had to buy it just for the adorable factor.
Although the ingredients seem overwhelming, again the
flavours were well balanced and not overly sweet.
The chocolate mousse was light, the tart base wasn't as hard as
the other. For someone who doesn't like caramel at all,
I could barely taste it in this, while the fruits again gave it the freshness

T By LuxBite on Urbanspoon

After dinner dinner
Sorry girls but this photo will forever live on on the internet.
Maccas is their one true home

Comments

Popular Posts