Recipe: BBQ Pork

One of my all time favourite chinese dishes is anything with BBQ pork. I use to treasure the days when my mum would take use to the BBQ shop and buy all these fantastical Chinese meats such as ox tongue, pig ear, and of course BBQ pork. This is one of the few dishes my mum actually doesn't know how to make, so I have been dying to learn how to for ages, so I finally did, and I was surprisingly pleased with the result. It actually turned out quite similar to what you see in store in terms of both of appearance and flavour, which I'm really proud of!

Ingredients:

  • 2cm garlic, finely diced
  • 2 garlics, minced
  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
  • 2 tbsp honey/syrup/sugar
  • 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1tsp Chinese five spice
  • 1 tbsp water (optional, to make the marinade less viscous)
  • 1 tsp red food colouring (optional)
  • 1kg pork fillet roast (twined)

Method:

  1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
  2. Roll the pork around in the marinade until the entire surface is covered.
  3. Then cover bowl and place into the fridge for at least 2 hours, the longer the better.
  4. Preheat the oven to 200c and line a deep pan (I used a bread tin) with greaseproof paper.
  5. Place pork in the tin and pour all the marinade over it, then cover tin with foil.
  6. Cook for 1 hour covered, then 30 minutes uncovered. Check regularly, turning meat and spooning sauce over it, to ensure even cooking and flavour.
  7. Once cooked, leave the pork cool for a few (10-15) minutes before carving into thin slices. 

Comments

Popular Posts